…a study of meditation and mindfulness
The mission of this study is to introduce you to the concept of mindfulness and the practice of meditation. By using a multitude of sources to explore meditation it is my hope that you realize the potential that these skills can bring to improve the quality of your life. We will use Joan Borysenko’s Minding the Body, Mending the Mind, as a base study on how to meditate. We will listen to NPR podcasts that teach you meditate, and podcasts that explore the practical implications of mindfulness.
At the end of this study I hope that I’ve sufficiently introduced you to the miracle of mindfulness.
Go here for a podcast of a pleasant 5:00 guided meditation.
Go here to access a series of meditation podcasts from the UCLA Mindful Awareness Research Center.
Assignments (50 pts each) and due dates for Meditation study:
- Minding the Body, Mending the Mind – selection
- Assignment #1 – Borysenko (due date TBA- )
- Time Magazine – “Just say Om” / copy – link
- Assignment #2 – Time Magazine (due date – hard copy – TBA)
- New York Times – “Walking Towards Mindfulness” /copy – link
- New York Times – “Mindful Eating as food for thought” /copy – link
- NPR Podcast – Be Here Now; Meditation for Body and Brain
- NPR Podcast– Thru Meditation Veterans relearn compassion
- Thich Nhat Hahn – wikipedia / facebook
- Washing Dishes– The Miracle of Mindfulness Thich Naht Hahn
- Google Docs assignment – Be Mindful (due date TBA)